Monday, November 27, 2006

Good Reading

I love history and I love to read. I especially like to read fiction with a historical background. I also love a fiction series with recurring characters. I like to see what happens next, ya know what I mean?

I have been reading a fiction series that has all of these qualities. Author Michael Jecks has a wonderful series featuring a former Knight Templar, Sir Baldwin Furnshill and his friend, Bailiff Simon Puttock. These novels are set in 1300's England and feature Baldwin and Simon solving a crime (usually murder- maybe always murder, I haven't read them all so I'm not sure). Mr. Jecks is a gifted writer. He really gives a sense of what life was like back then. He has a helpful glossary and cast of characters in the beginning of many of the books- great for keeping track of everyone and deciphering some medieval words! The mystery part of the books keeps you guessing. I hate a mystery that has a convenient ending- "so & so did it"- but the story just doesn't support the conclusion. These books are not like that. Mr. Jecks is very skillful with his plotting.

If you like a good mystery, you should try these books.

1 comment:

Katkoot said...

Oooo! I really wish that I could have time for a good book like this! Maybe, when i get done with ym thesis..